#IWD2018: International Women’s Day! 5 Female Artistes You Should Know (but probably don’t)
INTERNATIONAL Women’s Day is a day of recognition and celebration of women globally, It’s one day of the year that recognises the value that women bring to individual communities and collectively to the world, and showcases the incredible struggles of women who have paved the way for others. In a patriarchal system, International Women’s Day was a way to put women on the map. To take a step back and appreciate who women are as mothers, as entrepreneurs, as community leaders, as young women of vision, as girls rising up to fight the modern-day struggle one hundred years since some women got the right to vote.
In that light, we presents five female artistes you should be rocking with.
1. Saeon Moruda: The BOYCHICK return after an untimely death of her father to doing what she does better. Rapping at its finest – definitely a very underrated femcee.
2. Lady Donli – Neo-Soul has never been this good. She is a 20-year-old (21 in 2018), student of Law in the U.K. and from Kaduna State in Nigeria. Surprising news? She has 3 projects to her name (yes, we know!) Her music swings from alternative jazz to R&B to Hip-Hop. Watch video below to see why she makes our list!
3. Yoma is an Afrikaans rap firekid and Currently signed to Cape Town-based label Katalis. Why she is on this list? Her style is militant, characterised with bold, striking lines laid over rudimentary break beats. Come back soon, we miss you, Yoma!
Listen to Yoma’s Wille Kat:
4. Phlow, proteged by one of Nigeria’s veteran Hiphop producer known as Teckzilla (of the Str8Buttah fame – a crew that won the Best Hiphop category at the SMVA years ago). Born as Stephanie Asuai Eyime, she spits straight fire.
5. Rowlene is a CapeTown repping Hiphop act and many have dubbed ‘the future SA deserves to see’. Born & raised in Cape Town, she is an artist with tons of experience under her belt already. At only 20, She has worked with the likes of Nasty C & Ricky Rick to name just a few.
Any female artiste (not listed) you would want to recommend? Drop a comment below!