5 things we learnt from Niniola and Busisiwa’s interview with Awazi
Nigerian star singer Niniola and South African gqom proponent Busisiwa spoke to Awazi on the Home Run days ago and here are things we learnt from that interview – Listen to the full length podcast right after.
– Niniola slid into Busisiwa’s DM for the ‘Magun’ Remix and Busi was excited about the remix. She said “she (Niniola) is very feist!”
– Alot of South Africans actually mis-interpreted the opening lyrics from her ‘Maradona’ song which is – ‘Se footballer ni e’ for ‘cheap polonies…’ a cold meat meal which was responsible for a serious outbreak which resulted in a nationwide shutdown and Prince Kaybee was actually the first to tell Niniola that Maradona was huge song.
– She did sgn a deal with DJ Snake’s ‘people’ for the Maradona riddim and She tells the story of how she met her manager who was managing producer Sarz at the time they met.
– Busisiwa breaks down the difference between South African house (Kwaito) and Gqom. Gqom has been around in Durban for 10 years – underground, raunch and ‘in the dirty club – kind of’ – Babes Wodumo’s ‘Wololo’ was the first mainstream Gqom song, House has been around longer.
– Busisiwa – the new mother is not married to her partner (yet!) but he is very supportive.
Listen to the full length podcast below: